Credit: VMendoza Productions
We sat down with our Agadir Men ambassador, 35-year talented barber, educator, and shop owner of Lopez Barber Salon, Danny Lopez, to learn more about his journey into the hair industry. Here's what we found out.
- How long have you been in the barber business?
I have been in the barbering business for over 35 years.
- What inspired you to get into the industry?
My inspiration for entering the barber industry was my father, who was also a barber.
- How did you become a barber?
My father owned a barbershop and school. I attended his school in the beginning and watched, learned, and trained under his guidance.
- What were some challenges you faced in your journey to becoming a barber? What were the rewarding aspects in your journey?
The challenges I faced on my journey to barbering were mastering all the different hair textures and haircuts. The rewarding aspects was learning and truly understanding all the different types of haircuts.
- How did you become an educator?
I decided to become a Master Barber Educator after acquiring five multi-state licenses.
- What are some challenges you face while on the job?
The daily challenges I face on the job are customers not keeping their scheduled appointments. At times it can become hectic trying to balance the time needed for each customer's individual needs and balancing the daily workload.
- What is the most rewarding aspect of being a barber?
The most rewarding aspect of being a barber is making my customers feel confident and good about themselves.
- What do you like most about being an educator?
The best part of being a master educator is showing people new ways of making this industry fun while teaching new techniques and how to master their own skills.
- What's your typical day like as a barber and educator?
A typical day as a barber educator is teaching advanced barbering to professionals in a salon setting as well as visiting barbering schools to teach students my own created teaching technique called Barber Up Method.
Credit: Premier Barber Institute
- Do you have a favorite hairstyle you like to perform on clients?
I have many favorite hairstyles. To name them all would be a big list but there are three that are fun and very popular. Modified pompadour, comb over, and curly top blowout.
- What's your favorite part of being an Agadir Men ambassador?
My favorite part of being an Agadir Men Ambassador is that I represent the best men's hair and skin products on the market. I use these products on my customers and myself and stand by what they represent.
- How did you find Agadir Men?
I found Agadir Men but using their products and following them on social media.
- Do you have a favorite Agadir Men product? And, why?
My favorite Agadir product is Oud Wood Fiber Texturizer. It is my favorite because it smells great and I am able to style hair in any direction. The product is not sticky or stiff.
Credit: Shark Fin Shears
- What is a common question/request/issue that you typically receive from clients? How do you solve that?
The most common question my customers have is how to style their hair the way I have done it once they leave my chair.
- Do you have any advice for any future aspiring barbers?
The advice I give future barbers is love what you do, learn as much as you can, keep growing and continue to educate yourself in different services to expand your business.
- Is there anything you'd like to add?
I love being a barber and I am blessed to have been in this business for over 35 years. Watching how social media and hair shows have brought this business to a different level is exciting and I am glad to be part of such a creative and artistic industry.
For more barbering tips or to get your haircut from Danny, follow him online or visit his barbershop at Lopez Barber Salon in Belleville, NJ. Thanks for sharing with us! We look forward to seeing what he has planned for the future.